Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Rosette Barrettes-- My first attempt

I L.O.V.E. the things people are doing with crafted rosettes now; chunk necklaces, t-shirt embellishments, headbands, purses, etc. I think it is such a cute, unique way to personalize something that could have been... well, B.O.R.I.N.G.

Just one issue... As much as I love the look, and as easy as it's said to be, I've never tried making rosettes before! I usually leave that to my awesomely crafty sister, but she lives too far away now for me to rely on her for my every need. Time to grow up.

So I found this tutorial on making rosettes into all sorts of fun things, and decided to bring along some materials to make this small craft at my hotel room (that's dedication. Don't you think?)

I actually got my hot-glue gun through TSA, but didn't attempt some scissors. Step 1: Make friends with the people at the check-in desk!

Materials:


  • Chosen fabric
  • Scissors
  • Hot-glue gun
  • Hair clips
Directions:

1. Cut fabric into strips. The wider and longer the strips the thicker the rosette will be



2. Tie a knot into one end of the strip


3. Wrap the loose end of the strip around the knot, folding in the extra material after the knot. Twist the strip randomly to create variety and volume. 

4. Dot hot glue every turn or so to keep the rosette in place
       You could also sew thread through the rosette to keep it in place, but I couldn't bring a needle in my carry-on!


5. Glue the hair clip end to the finished rosette


6. Admire your finished work!


Oh so cute... so G.L.A.D. I finally learned to do this! I'm going to start rosette-ing everything!





*UPDATE: I loved these hair barrettes so much I changed my outfit to match them and kept two in my hair.  My husband came back to the hotel after his meetings that day and, while giving me my hello kiss, stopped and said, "Are those new?" Love it!


6 comments:

  1. SOO cute! I've never seen hair clips like that. What a great idea to have them all ready for decorating. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really cute. I haven't thought of doing those before. I will have to try them when I get a chance. BTW, I will be glad to show you how to do the bows I make for Malana's hair if you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im guessing this would work to make larger ones too? i really want a broach to attach to my scarves :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Mary! I made a larger one (thicker strips add girth)and attached it to a broach clip for my sister-in-law's tote bag. Now that I know the rosette technique, I'm using it for everything! I would advise you to add ribbon or felt or something to the back once it gets bigger than a hair pin, though!

    ReplyDelete