Just one issue... As much as I love the look, and as easy as it's said to be, I've never tried making rosettes before! I usually leave that to my awesomely crafty sister, but she lives too far away now for me to rely on her for my every need. Time to grow up.
So I found this tutorial on making rosettes into all sorts of fun things, and decided to bring along some materials to make this small craft at my hotel room (that's dedication. Don't you think?)
I actually got my hot-glue gun through TSA, but didn't attempt some scissors. Step 1: Make friends with the people at the check-in desk!
- Chosen fabric
- Hot-glue gun
- Hair clips
1. Cut fabric into strips. The wider and longer the strips the thicker the rosette will be
2. Tie a knot into one end of the strip
3. Wrap the loose end of the strip around the knot, folding in the extra material after the knot. Twist the strip randomly to create variety and volume.
4. Dot hot glue every turn or so to keep the rosette in place
You could also sew thread through the rosette to keep it in place, but I couldn't bring a needle in my carry-on!
5. Glue the hair clip end to the finished rosette
6. Admire your finished work!
Oh so cute... so G.L.A.D. I finally learned to do this! I'm going to start rosette-ing everything!
*UPDATE: I loved these hair barrettes so much I changed my outfit to match them and kept two in my hair. My husband came back to the hotel after his meetings that day and, while giving me my hello kiss, stopped and said, "Are those new?" Love it!