Thursday, January 13, 2011

Website Woes...

I love you all.  That's why I feel close enough to complain a little.

First of all, I L.O.V.E.M.Y.B.U.SI.N.E.S.S. I love designing and cutting vinyl, decorating and redecorating, and reaching out to people who appreciate the same things. I love being my own boss, answering to my own timeline and creativity, and, let's face it: making all the decisions and keeping all the pride and joy.

I also happen to be a perfectionist, and very used to achieving my desired results (sometimes after lots of hard work and determination).

But when it comes to designing my own store website for uVinyl, I am totally flustered! 


My wonderful brother-in-law, an educator, helped me get started on a website after buying my own domain name and hosting, but after I got antsy with it he suggested I learn how to do it myself so I can "teach myself to design". I completely agreed, and love the idea of knowing the software enough to change it on my own whim.

It took me over a week of researching hosting sites to realize I was already paying for hosting, and I spent H.O.U.R.S. yesterday trying to use a new site builder for uVinyl only to delete two websites! I had to e-mail my brother-in-law for help because, after 4 hours, I couldn't even figure out how to log in! (He e-mailed me back 10 mins. later that he'd taken care of it all).

I called my husband at work, crying and frustrated, then spent the rest of the day in the guest bedroom (no bad memories) watching movies on Netflix in my bathrobe.


Husband: "You know...."
Me, crossing my fingers: "Oh please say what I want you to say!"
Husband: "I don't think building a website is the sort of thing you should be responsible for doing yourself. It's like trying to learn a new job at step 26."

Listen, friends, it is wonderful to shoot for the stars and have high expectations.  My website, when finished, will be amazing (if it matches my vision), I just had to admit that I could never do it myself.

3 comments:

  1. Of course it will be great when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way...I have tried to learn so many times, I am at a stand still right now....so frustrating.

    amy

    even my blog needs some help:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of trying to do it all at once, maybe just take one aspect of the site to learn and master & then move on to the next aspect. Learning is fabulous but only if we do it at OUR pace. Here's to bigger & better blogs 4 all of us.

    ReplyDelete