Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, everybody!
uVinyl has been taking a little time off to celebrate the birth of our Saviour with our family, and hope you've been able to share this season with loved ones, too!
But now.... On with the show!
I was assigned my new sister-in-law, Sarah, as a Secret Santa this year. She has two small boys and a very chic house... so what to get her? Inspiration struck that this could be the perfect gift:
1. Everyone can use a clock
2. The black chalkboard matches anything
3. Chalkboard allows her to personalize
4. Can be used to write on as a time teaching tool for the kids
5. It is easily made, but doesn't necessarily look "homemade"
So here's how I did it...
- Circle of plywood (I bought a 10" circle from Hobby Lobby for $1)
- Chalkboard vinyl (or spraypaint) to cover the wood
- Clock mechanism (@ Hobby Lobby for $2.5, but you have to know the size you need. I used 1/4" shaft)
- Fabric Square
- Hot Glue gun
1. Apply the chalkboard vinyl to the wood circle
2. Draw lines down the middle and side of the board, to find the direct center.
3. Drill a hole!
4. Add the clock mechanism.
This is really easy... there are very good directions and a diagram on the back of the mechanism package
5. Cut matching lengths of ribbon and use the glue gun to glue one end to the back of the board and the other end to a piece of chalk and the extra fabric square.
6. Decorate the clock face
7. Hang and enjoy!
Now that I know how easy it is to drill a hole in something and turn it into a clock, I'll be doing a lot more of them. You know how some people have a wall of photos? I think we'll end up with a wall of fun clocks! Hehehe :)